Saturday, July 27, 2013

MALAYSIA : My New Home ( Part Two)

My good swimming buddies in KL : Aries and Ashraf.

And they welcomed me with a swimming session at Pantai Panorama Condo in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Ashraf, a Palestinian English teacher, and Aries, A Filipino English teacher who hails from Davao City, were my swimming buddies while Rami and Dr. Francis just watched us. And yes, I felt home because they were so accommodating eventhough that was our first meeting as friends. Thanks to these good people in KL.

“You are home in Malaysia. There are many Muslims here. Malayu, Indonesians, Iraqis, Iranians, Palestinians, Indians.. They are all here. And Pantai Panorama is like a Middle East because of these Arabs.”, Aries shared. “ And there are many Halal restaurants here so I decided that it is nice to be here. No worries.”, Ashraf added.

And this is Malaysia, my HOME. When I was in Bangkok, I really had a hard time finding a halal restaurant . Dr. Jubilado often teased me that foods in Thailand are HARAM. And that is why I felt like I could not live any longer here. Masjid is too far from the city. And here comes Malaysia, a heaven for Muslim as what Aries and Ashraf shared. Alhamdulillah! (Praise be to God). And this was still the topic when Dr. Jubilado arrived from Thailand. He continued that life in Malaysia is awesome. People are so nice. The place is great. “So you better work here lah”. And I am still convincing myself as I looked at the tall buildings in the city. The lights are convincing me that life in KL is indeed beautiful.

Dr. Francis added that his work at the University of Malaya opened many doors for him. He has supported his family, has built good houses, has bought his needs and wants, and has travelled the world. “Pero if sa Pinas lang ako, di ko ito mararating. Mahirap ang buhay sa Pinas. Full time teacher dito, part time teacher sa kabila. Kayod talaga.”

The two doctors happily shared their experiences when they were still working in the Philippines. The trials, the challenges, the laughters. and I just reflected on what they had shared.

I got nothing more to do in the condo. 
Swimming is another virtue.
The next day, we went to the nearby malls and had our lunch at Pancake House, a Filipino restaurant but managed by Malaysians. And the two doctors keep on inspiring me to get out from my comfort zone and try my luck abroad. “ Life in the Philippines is difficult. Ang sahod mo ay tamang-tama lang sa gastos mo araw-araw. If magkakasakit ka, kulang pa ang sahod mo. Marami ka pang palamunin. Nandiyan pa ang kapatid, mga pamangkin mo, mga pinsan mo. Problema nila, problema mo rin. Damay ka. Mahirap kapag kasyang-kasya lang ang sahod. Sakit sa ulo.” I just nodded and continued eating my fried bangus. Yes, these two doctors have points…These are the common reasons why majority of the Filipinos are going abroad and finding their greener pastures.. And I am still convincing myself to work abroad.

“Yes, mahirap talaga iwan ang comfort zone mo. Masaya ang buhay sa Davao. Malapit ka sa pamilya mo but think of the future.” , Dr. Jubilado advised me as he sipped his tea.

“In Malaysia, you got nothing more to do in the condo. Swimming is another virtue!”, Dr. Jubilado cheered.

2 comments:

  1. Grammar plays a vital role to the teaching and learning of languages. It is considered as one of the most difficult aspects in learning yet nobody actually learns grammar to learn his/her own mother tongue. It is a natural occurrence that we learn our own language and start speaking through people that speaks around us. But the question remains: What is grammar? Grammar is the structural foundation of our ability to express ourselves. The more we are aware of how it works, the more we can monitor the meaning and effectiveness of the way we and others use language. It can help foster precision, detect ambiguity, and exploit the richness of expression available in English. And it can help everyone--not only teachers of English, but a teacher of anything, for all teaching is ultimately a matter of getting to grips with meaning.
    (Crystal, "In Word and Deed," TES Teacher, April 30, 2004)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea Nicole J. Quilantang
    BS in Economics I-A

    As what you put in the title "Malaysia: My New Home", the article could possibly be a story or an experience where the author feels comfortable or simply, feels that he is home. As I read the article, I found out that the author had a lot of fun experiences during the vacation. He met a lot of friends and even experience a lot of things. Sir Sajed feels that he is home in Malaysia because of the people around him and also with the culture: with the food, tradition and etc. He feels that he is really welcome. Together with his new found friends, they were able to enjoy the whole journey. I think that any person can feel that he/she is home or he belongs to that place if he/she can found everything he/she needs, if he/she feels comfortable with the surroundings and accepts everything that happens around him/her wholeheartedly.

    ReplyDelete